The fifth edition of the CATSUS PhD program will start in February 2018.
There are 6 (six) CATSUS PhD grants available for each edition of the program (total of 30 grants for 5 editions), but students funded from other sources can also apply to the CATSUS.
The calls for the CATSUS PhD grants open only in specific dates.
Candidates interested on a fifth edition CATSUS PhD grant should apply from October 6th to October 27th , 2017.
CATSUS PhD grants
The CATSUS PhD grants are for four consecutive years and, subject to the FCT regulations, currently include:
- a monthly salary of 980 € (tax free);
- a subsidy for students coming from outside Portugal;
- annual co-payment for registration, tuition or fees;
- short duration visits at foreign research laboratories/centres;
- rotation laboratories (at Portuguese institutions located in different towns);
- a subsidy for presentation of works in scientific meetings.
Students funded from any other sources (external to FCT and/or CATSUS) are also welcome to apply to CATSUS.
Other grants may eventually become available through the research centres/Institutions associated with the CATSUS program and the respective research projects.
Additional student support
Both IST and the CATSUS can offer administrative support to the students requiring a visa to study in Portugal, but the visa application can only be submitted to the Portuguese Embassy / Consulate after admission to the CATSUS. The time required for the visa to be issued is variable and, in some cases, can exceed two months.