Integrated Master’s degree in Biological Engineering at IST
PD-FCT AIM project is entitled “Microfluidic bioreactors for cascade enzymatic reactions” and will take place at INESC-MN and IBB. The thesis will be supervised by Professor João Pedro Conde (INESC-MN and Department of Bioengineering) and co-supervised by Professor Pedro Fernandes (IBB). His doctoral program started on the 22nd of September 2016.
The objective of this doctoral project is to study the design, implementation and characterization of microfluidic microreactors for complex cascade reactions using a series of enzymatic and chemical reactions.
Two potential applications will be studied: (i) biosensing of metabolites (in plants, animals and humans); and (ii) screening of production conditions for high value added biotechnological products.
In addition, the integration of additional processing modules to the microfluidic microreactor will be studied: (i) sample preparation; and (ii) downstream separation.
- Development of a microfluidic chip for the optimization of antibody extraction, using aqueous two phase systems (ATPS);
- Bioentrepreneurship course (IST);
- Initial experiment design for metabolite detection.
- Attended a pressure sensor microfabrication course: Summer School at the University of Applied Sciences Kaiserslautern, Germany;
- Development of microfluidic bioreactors for the cultivation of yeast;
- Teaching and scientific communication course (IST).
- Academic Excellence Diploma for the year 2014/2015